Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's been a while...

Hi everyone!

It has been so long that I don't think I even know how to blog anymore (not that I probably did in the first place). I thought I would post something (nothing) so that I might get back into the swing of things. Not sure that this will work, but you never know : )

I have been able to breathe more this year so far compared to last year, hoping that things will stay this way! If they do, then I might actually get more time to blog. So far I have been using my extra time to volunteer for Church rosters, read AMAZING books and spend more time with the family. I am also babysitting half a day a week and will start back at the nursing home casually after 6 months break. I am really looking forward to having more than $11 in my bank account!

I am being trained up at Church in the sound system, and will help with set up and pack up in our new Church Hall. We had to move from the Church building as we grew out of it, which makes for a fair bit of extra work to do every week, as we have to totally pack up everything and take it away each week. But so far 3 weeks into it we are going alright. It isn't as nice as being in our Church building as it is large, cold and impersonal; but it does mean that we can chat to everyone and not trip over everyone's feet! It has been nice, just hope that it all becomes a little easier soon.

I  read the Harry Potter series while in Tasmania (which I love!), Edmund Spenser's "Faery Queen": amazing and beautiful! I have been reading Oscar Wilde's plays and children's stories and some poetry. And a lot of Midwifery books of course : ) My friend whose birth I recently was privileged to attend has been lending me books from her vast library. So I have read "Pushed" (which was excellent) amongst others, and am starting "Calm Birth" which looks pretty good so far. I love reigniting my passion for Midwifery with books, seems to me to combine 2 passions wonderfully!

Right now at uni we are all trying very hard to recruit our 20 continuity women for this year. I had 11 but 3 have moved out of Canberra, so am down to 8. All the Booking in visits I have done at the hospitals (each taking approx 1.5hrs) have proven fairly disappointing as the women are asked at the end of each of these visits whether they want a midwifery student to follow their pregnancy through, and most of the women are saying no to me. So just have to keep attending visit after visit until I am able to get up 20. What is lovely is that I am able to take 5 women through the birth centre, I am so loving that!

So, I hope to post randomly throughout this year, keeping myself as well as anyone who is even remotely interested up to date with the life of me : )

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Welcome back! I have loved reading your update -- I even learned a few things I didn't know.
xxx

Be - I mean, your most attractive sibling. said...

SHE'S ALIVE!!! Geez, I was worried about you for a while there!

Sooo...you love Tasmania, or you love Harry Potter? :P

I love the new layout. Terribly Midwife-like.

Carla and Alastair said...

I wish I could be one of your births!!! Want to come to Wollongong for it? :P

Karli said...

Absolutely! That would be the most amazing thing :) When are you due? :P

Karli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carla and Alastair said...

26th August.... probably mid-semester, is it? :P

Karli said...

:) Only another 5 months! I am at uni then, but would love to be with you at that time if possible :)

The Acorn said...

Karli, so good to see you back again.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your days. (and Books!) Smiles

Love to you friend.

Karli said...

Hi Sarah! How are you going? I have been meaning to post back your books to you for a couple of years now! I will do that soon :) Love Karli

The Acorn said...

And I yours! Laughs!
Time just moved along so fast!

If you ever have a free hour or two I'd love to catch up!